Friday 23 December 2016

Jeje Lalpekhlua honoured as India’s best footballer of 2016 by AIFF

Jeje Lalpekhlua honoured as India’s best footballer of 2016 by AIFF Jeje Lalpekhlua who plays the role of key striker for Mohun Bagan and Chennaiyin FC, was adjourned 2016’s AIFF Player of the Year on Wednesday. The 25-year-old from Mizoram will be presented a award in a form of Rs. 2.5 lakh and the glittering trophy, AIFF president Praful Patel declared at the AIFF Annual General Body
Meeting at New Delhi. Commenting on the honour, Lalpekhlua said, “This year has really gone great for me. This award is another motivation for me to reap more in the future.” “It’s the award which every Indian Footballer looks forward to. It feels great and I am thankful to all my coaches who put their faith on me,” Jeje said in an AIFF release.
“I am also immensely grateful to AIFF because it was there the journey began from. The Academy in Goa under Colm Toal laid the platform for me and so many others to dream about bigger things,” “Awards motivate you and it feels great when your hard work gets recognised. I am extremely thrilled about joining the elite list. If you look at the ones who have received the AIFF Player of the Year Award in all the previous years, I found out they all are my idols,” he added.
Jeje enjoyed a highly successful year. He has been six goals in seven matches for the national team. He was also one of the most prolific strikers in the I-League and played a crucial role in Mohun Bagan’s run to the Round of 16 of the 2016 AFC Cup during the season, scoring six goals during the tournament. He also scored five goals in the I-League and became the top-scorer by netting eight goals which also included a brace in the final of the Federation Cup which Mohun Bagan won, beating Aizawl FC 5-0.
Also, AIFF selected Gurpreet Singh Sandhu and Uvena Fernandes for the 2016 AIFF Award for Special Recognition awards. They will be presented RS. 1 lakh along with trophy. Gurpreet is the first Indian to feature in Europa League fixture. He represented Stabaek FC in the Europa league. On the other hand, Uvena is the first Indian official to officiate in a World Cup match.
Rowlin Borges bagged the 2016 AIFF Emerging player of the year, whereas Sanju was nominated for the 2016 AIFF Emerging Women Footballer of the Year award.

No comments:

Post a Comment