Tuesday 18 October 2016

5 Bengaluru students clinch Cambridge awards

BENGALURU: Students from two schools have done the city proud by winning the Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards for the June 2016 session. The awards are conferred by Cambridge International Examinations, which recognizes exceptional learner achievement around the world. Ananya Sangwan, Aditi Raghavan and Ashwin Bhat from The International School, Bangalore
(TISB) are among the winners. Ananya has been recognized for High Achievement in Mandarin Chinese, a language not many choose to even learn, excellence being a rarity. The criteria state that High Achievement is awarded to learners who have achieved outstanding results in subjects which are not widely pursued.Greenwood High International Science students Vibha R ohilla and Shourya Mukherjee have bagged Top in World and Top in Country awards in additional mathematics and computer science.
" I grew up in China. I love the language so much that I am contemplating pursuing it as a career option. I have chosen Mandarin at level B and m y teachers contributed to my success," Ananya told TOI.
Aditi, 16, has bagged the Top in Country award in computer science (IGCSE) which "goes to the learner who has gained the highest standard mark in the country for a single subject." A violinist for the past nine years and an avid lover of the subject, Aditi said: "Computers is all about logic, one's commitment and love for the device. Programming is my favourite hobby and I love spending time on the computer." Although Aditi wants to pursue higher studies in bio-chemical engineering, she is not willing to give up her interest in computers. "I have worked on a few computer science projects. I am developing an emergency management system which will soon be converted into an app. It will help people in times of emergencies by making them accessible to services like ambulance and firemen," she said.
Ashwin, 16, received the Top in Country award for English literature. Now a student of Reigate Grammar School , who also plays under-17 county cricket, Ashwin is an art and literature enthusiast. He wants to pursue higher education in maths. "I love language and for me numbers and words share a mysterious chemistry. I love spending time with books and my cricket bat. Solving sums and playing hockey are also on my list of hobbies," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment