Monday 12 September 2016

Paralympics: Theresa Goh bags Singapore's 2nd medal at Rio Games with bronze

RIO DE JANEIRO - Singapore para-swimmer Theresa Goh won the bronze medal in the women's 100m breaststroke SB4 final on Sunday (Monday Sept 12, Singapore time), securing Singapore's second medal of the Rio Paralympics. Goh, 29, who was born with spina bifida and is paralysed from the waist down, clocked 1:55.55sec at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium. She had set a personal-best
time of 1:54.50 in the morning's heats, which is also an Asian record. That made her the second-fastest qualifier going into the final. Paralympics: Bronze medallist Theresa Goh has carried disability sports torch for over 10 years . She finished behind Norwegian pre-race favourite Sarah Louise Rung (1:44.94), the final's fastest qualifier, and Italy's Giulia Ghiretti (1:50.58).  Her good friend Yip Pin Xiu, 24, won gold in the 100m backstroke S2 event on Friday, bringing in Singapore's first medal at the Rio Paralympics.

Goh was the first Singapore swimmer to compete at the Paralympics, back in Athens in 2004. This is her first medal from four Paralympic Games.

Coach Mick Massey praised his charge's "phenomenal" swim, with Goh herself saying that she felt it was "her day to shine". 

Speaking to The Straits Times after her race, she added: "I'm so stoked. It's kind of really surreal to me right now. It feels like a dream honestly and I'm waiting for someone to pinch me and wake me up. It's been a long time coming and I'm beyond happy that I've made it.

"I don't know how I stuck in there for so long. 17 years in swimming, 8 years since I lost out on that medal in Beijing. 

"But honestly it's such a team effort. And I know I've said it too many times but without the team behind me, this would've been impossible."

Goh's parents, Bernard and Rose, were in the stands to witness their daughter's proud moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment